How To Instal a new/upgraded Fuel Pump - Install done on an Nissan S15 200SX.  

• ITS FUN
  • Contributing Member!
  • Member No.: 4,938
Post #1 post 12th September 2004 - 10:58 PM
Installing a Fuel Pump into an S15 - Ive done the basic mods to my car...exhaust, intercooler, boost, air filter. This is the basic of bolt on bits. This is where things start to get a little more serious...with fuel system upgrades and engine management upgrades. While still compiling funds for my much needed PowerFC & Hand Controller - I bought a new fuel pump and today...I just installed it.

I got a Walbro fuel pump and it flows 250L/h and is good for up to 500hp.

The installation is pretty straight forward. The fuel pump is a direct bolt in replacement for the Nissan OEM pump. In the S15, pull out the carpet in the boot...and the access panel is on the "shelf" that is in the boot. ...

user posted image

Undo the 4 bolts holding the cover in place - and this will give you access to the breather hose, fuel line, return line and power for the fuel pump. In this pic you can see the power plugs have already been disconnected. Before attemping to remove the fuel lines - its important that you release any pressure inside the fuel system. We depressurised the system by simply pulling off the fuel hose and bleeding it. Or...if you don want the fumes, simply start the engine and drain the fuel system until the engine dies.

user posted image

Disconnect all the tubes and unscrew the black "locking ring" holding everything down. This is a huge "ring" around the white plastic cover that the hoses connect to. This unscrews anti-clockwise, and you need to be rough with it. We had to do mine by getting a screw driver & hammer, and tapping it undone because it was too stiff to undo by hand. Once you get is undone - you now have access to inside the fuel tank, and to the fuel pump.

user posted image

The fuel pump is attached to a metal bracket, which is up against the rear passenger seat side of the fuel tank. You can reach in to grab it and pull it out, be careful and move it far left/right to manouvre it appropriately to pull it out, sometimes the fuel float will make it difficult to remove.

user posted image

Once it is out - this is what it looks like. From the top down, you can see the fuel pump pick up filtration thing, the fuel pump itself attached to the metal bracket, the connecting hose (for pumping fuel) and the associated wire (for power), then the top plastic cover (this is the bit you saw earlier in picture 2)

user posted image

Here is a comparison between the OEM pump and the Walbro pump.

user posted image

Remove the old fuel pump (you just unclip it) and attach the new fuel pump. As I said - its a direct bolt in replacement. Attach associated hoses and plugs (you can use the OEM power plug on the new pump - it clicks straight in). Now the fuel pump is ready to go back in.

user posted image

Then End..

--------------------
Need free trance albums? Get them @ DreamensioN .NET

Tracks: http://soundcloud.com/dreamension

Doin' it for the love of dance music....

boozt
Post #2

QUOTE ( @ Sep 12 2004, 10:58 PM)
start the engine and drain the fuel system until the engine dies.

Id be removing the hose and bleeding it

Good descriptive guide though, helpful for others looking to do this

Still running the standard fuel reg or going to upgrade too?

Post #3

Yep - the standard fuel pressure regulator will be upgraded in the near future (after I get a PowerFC).

BoostedS15
Post #4

Noel...................you didnt do one part of this installation. one very important part...........

REMOVE the valve in the fuel line. in the last pic it is right near your hand..........this valve restricts the pump ALOT when you start using any real power out of it.

other than that BRILLIANT tech article smile.gif

70XIN
Post #5

QUOTE (DreamensioN @ Sep 13 2004, 09:15 AM)
Yep - the standard fuel pressure regulator will be upgraded in the near future (after I get a PowerFC).

PowerFC's are awesome biggrin.gif have you got many other mods done to the car?

Awesome article too smile.gif

Post #6

QUOTE (BoostedS15 @ Sep 13 2004, 10:05 AM)
Noel...................you didnt do one part of this installation. one very important part...........

REMOVE the valve in the fuel line. in the last pic it is right near your hand..........this valve restricts the pump ALOT when you start using any real power out of it.

Thanks for the heads up!!!

Do I just take it out all together? Is that ok to do with the stock engine management system and fuel pressure regulator?

Post #7

QUOTE (70XIN @ Sep 13 2004, 10:14 AM)
PowerFC's are awesome biggrin.gif have you got many other mods done to the car?

Awesome article too smile.gif

Thanks smile.gif

I've only got bolt on mods at the moment (exhaust, filter, intercooler, bleed valve). I did the fuel pump to make way for future modifications (powerFC, pressure regulator, injectors & cams).

BoostedS15
Post #8

It will be fine untill you do engine management, but probably easier to do it , while it is all still fresh in your mind. smile.gif

The stock ecu will be fine with the valve in there thou.

QuicKSilveR
Post #9

Cool Article. I got the same Fuel Pump in my Laser. Its fairly noisy But good pump and small smile.gif

57ING
Post #10

I had the same pump in my last ET, worked like a charm, good article too, will be doing the same mod to my 200 very soon.

sinnie
Post #11

I just did the exact same installation on my 200sx. How much of a bitch is it to get that screw cap off?!?! i lost alot of hair tring to undo that thing!.

Also after i installed my i find that my fuel gauge needle moves around more eratically now, as if i bumped something, needle will move down n up as i go around corners, anyone know what could have caused this?

Silvia_Xtreme
Post #12

Pang: isnt fuel level measured by a float on the fuel pump harness thingy? or is it seperate on the Nissans? the only fuel pump/talk ive ever looked at was a VH commowhore.. it had a floaty device. if so, it may not be secured properly or at the right angle.

death_fangs
Post #13

Thanks for the info, great help.
I own a S13 so they should be similar if not the same yeh???

sinnie
Post #14

yeh pat usually, in my s13 it was. but correct me if im wrong there is no obvious floaty in the 200sx fuel tanks!

70YIN_180
Post #15

great article.. assisted me when i did it in my s13.. please correct me if im worng but there is no valve in the s13.. either that or i missed it in mine!!

omz180
Post #16

am doing mine today.. lets see how a girl goes tongue.gif do we know about the S13 valve anyone anyone??

1989Kruza
Post #17

REMOVE the valve in the fuel line? Is it ok to remove this on a standard s15 spec R ?? and what do you gain from it cheers.,

Nitroholickid
Post #18

yay, great post. the images helped a lot. thank you!

kidwitamagna
Post #19

QUOTE (BoostedS15 @ Sep 13 2004, 11:05 AM) *

Can anyone else vouch for this? I just put a pump in mine and then found this thread. Mine was left in...do I really need to pull it all apart again and take it out? Is it worth it?

Thanks.

Also I used the stock fuel filter/sock because the one that came with the pump was tiny and I don't want to have to fill up everytime it hits a 1/4 tank. Is it ok to use the original with these pumps?

• Member Login

If you have a BoostCruising account enter your user name and password into the yellow box.

Alternatively, you can quickly login with Facebook.

If you don't have an account create one below.

Create Account
  • Login with Facebook

Login using your Facebook account!

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
x