Power Steering Gone =( - i think it is the box but nope 100 percent sure  

vnsleeper
  • vnsleeper
  • Standard User
  • Member No.: 178,728
Post #1 post 16th August 2010 - 10:47 AM
okay guys last night while cruizin my steering starting making a really bad whining noise ( i have a manul vn 90 modal) and i had this extremly bad burning smell i had a look and he was like an oil substance every where at the bottom of engine bay on the ground .so after refilling 2 times in 10 mins of driving i taped the shit out of the box (where the fluid goes into) and if i tell my dickhead of a step dad him will take it into the shop and leave me with the bill when i know it is not a huge problem . after taping the power steering box and has not made a whining noise or no obviose leak ,so point being should i just buy a new box and replace it i think all there is is 5 bolts or should i take it into the shop and be in debt again

thanks vnsleeper

wooooooo 8 weeks till end of school !

--------------------
vnsleeper it begins here
rus_s13
Post #2

The 'box' is called your power steering reservoir. Its more common for the hoses to leak\burst, although you might have cracked your power steering reservoir. Don't say box when you go to the wreckers for a new one.

The whine you can hear is your power steering pump struggling to function with a low oil level.

Pull it all apart and check it out. You should be able to see pretty obviously where your leak/crack/blown hose is. Do you have one of those workshop manual's for your car?

Here's a link from jc.com, showing how to remove and replace everything down to the pump. Its pretty comprehensive, although if you get stuck, take some photo's and post em up.

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/holden...tion-vn-vp.html

vnsleeper
Post #3

thanks rus it helped me alot finally fixed a problem for myself =)

• Member Login

If you have a BoostCruising account enter your user name and password into the yellow box.

Alternatively, you can quickly login with Facebook.

If you don't have an account create one below.

Create Account
  • Login with Facebook

Login using your Facebook account!

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
x