New Wa Emmisions Laws - marks the end of modified cars in WA  

turbo x-trail
  • turbo x-trail
  • Budding User
  • Member No.: 173,213
Post #1 post 16th July 2009 - 04:06 PM
Hey all, just thought I'd share some pretty shitty news I've come across.

Went to the DPI today, and got some info for the legal stuff regarding my turbo x-trail project.
Its all pretty simple, i don't even need MOD plates or engineer's certificate.
What i need to do is fill in an modification application form and send it in, then ill get a response as to what i need to do next.

I might need to do whats called an IM240 test, which is a VERY expensive emissions test involving several gas levels being monitored for a period of 4 minutes (hence 240 seconds). These cost ~$700, and if the car fails, the next test will cost, brace yourself, almost $3000! The joke of this is that there is only one company in the entire state that does these tests. They have a monopoly on the emissions testing 'market'. It should be said that Kostecki Engine Centre (who does the testing) is not to be blamed for any of this, they are doing us a favour. Our joke of a state government is to blame. In NSW, the RTA will fund the testing to be done, all the clients have to do is prep the car to pass. Now why cant our government follow suit? Hoping I won't have to do one of these, if i do, then ill just take the gamble and drive with it not fully legal, cos 700 dollars per test is an effing joke, its the biggest money making scheme I've ever seen. After that, it just needs to pass an inspection over the pits, which should be fairly easy.

I don't condone driving an un-road worthy car at all, this will be my choice, and only under absolute worst case senario and untill I can find a way around the test, or spend some more coin for the stupid test. The problem with the IM240 test, is that was introduced back in April, and to date, not one test has been carried out in Western Australia. dunno.gif

From what i hear from the guys on the LS1 forum (im using them to tune my EMS when its done), 3 cars were tested independently over east, by a car dealership. I might add here that in NSW, this test is free, funded by the RTA! (correct me if im wrong). The cars were a MY09 Subaru Impreza WRX, a 3.6L V6 base model VE commodore, and a VE SS (6.0l V8) ute. ONLY THE V6 COMMODORE PASSED THE TEST. You read correctly. The WRX and the SS failed due to to higher carbon emissions on start-up (before the cat-converted had even bin given a chance to warm up to correct operating temperature). If a stock car cannot pass this test, what hope does even a slightly modified car have? According to the DPI's website, 80% of the cars on the road are (as of April 09) REQUIRED to undergo an IM240 test to still be legal. This includes any car with any exhaust mods at all, turbo or supercharger, LPG or CNG conversion, imported from another country or that was manufactured before 1989. This means that every LPG conversion must undergo this $700 (or potentially $3700 if it fails the first time) test in order to be legal. Thats more than the conversion itself, and its certainly not covered by the gov'mnt grant. I thought the government was trying to promote LPG conversions???

Read about the test here: http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/mediafiles/lic_ib...ht_vehicles.pdf
and some discussion on the LS1 (commodore V8) forum here: http://www.ls1.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=121352

This test marks the end of modified cars in WA.

Yeh I'm seriously considering the future of this turbo project now.

That said, its not exactly that easy to just undo what I've done already (fuel pump, intercooler, exhaust, manifold and dump pipe that's bin custom made, BOV, injectors, the turbo itself and even the catch can!). I'm not going to be able to sell all of this stuff (especially with the new laws) and thanks to our lovely, helpful government, a hard working, law abiding, tax-paying student is thousands out of pocket.

To say I'm annoyed would be an understatement.

I'm not sure about the status of cars that are already modified pre-April, but from what it sounds like, it gives police the power to whack a $700 or $3700 test on ANYONE, even if the car is stock and/or they just suspect an exhaust modification has bin carried out.

The only bit if hope us WA'ers have, is that the test is under review in 12 months time (next April), all it takes is a smart lawyer from a car company to pipe up, and plead that the test undermines their company's ability to sell cars, that are considered "legal".

What do you guys think?

This post has been edited by turbo x-trail: Jul 20 2009, 05:47 PM

--------------------
Nissan T30 X-Trail GT-L luxury
2.5L QR25
GT2860rs .86
Tial MVS gate
full 3" exhaust
EMS Stinger
18" Drift Teks
Hotbits Coilovers
~280awhp @ 12psi
*boost's most hated on car*

youbUTEless 33
Post #2

sux to live in WA

oh.. wait. i live in WA

sad.gif

TheKhakiWarrior
Post #3

Is a ROAD TRIP considered okay? Anywhere in SA that might test?

turbo x-trail
Post #4

??

youbUTEless 33
Post #5

QUOTE (turbo x-trail @ Jul 16 2009, 04:14 PM) *
??

yeah, im nomadic, i have been in WA for a few months now but going back to brisbane shortly

turbo x-trail
Post #6

right.

fuck im annoyed at this.

i might just go fuck it, ill bolt on a turbo if i want to.

all the cars in the world contribute to under 3% of the world's pollution. What difference is a few hundred thousand cars in WA gonna make?

youbUTEless 33
Post #7

the straw that broke the camels back

alpharx7
Post #8

QUOTE (turbo x-trail @ Jul 16 2009, 04:06 PM) *
I might need to do whats called an IM240 test, which is a VERY expensive emissions test involving several gas levels being monitored for a period of 4 minutes (hence 240 seconds). These cost ~$700, and if the car fails, the next test will cost, brace yourself, almost $3000! The joke of this is that there is only one company in the entire state that does these tests. They have a monopoly on the emissions testing 'market'. Hoping I won't have to do one of these, if i do, then ill just take the gamble and drive with it not fully legal, cos 700 dollars per test is an effing joke, its the biggest money making scheme I've ever seen. After that, it just needs to pass an inspection over the pits, which should be fairly easy.

From what i hear from the guys at hyperdrive motorsport (im using them to tune my EMS when its done), 3 cars were tested independently over east, by a car dealership. I might add here that in NSW, this test is free, funded by the RTA! (correct me if im wrong). The cars were a MY09 Subaru Impreza WRX, a 3.6L V6 base model VE commodore, and a VE SS (6.0l V8) ute. ONLY THE V6 COMMODORE PASSED THE TEST. You read correctly. The WRX and the SS failed due to to higher carbon emissions on start-up (before the cat-converted had even bin given a chance to warm up to correct operating temperature). If a stock car cannot pass this test, what hope does even a slightly modified car have? According to the DPI's website, 80% of the cars on the road are (as of April 09) REQUIRED to undergo an IM240 test to still be legal. This includes any car with any exhaust mods at all, turbo or supercharger, LPG or CNG conversion, imported from another country or that was manufactured before 1989. This means that every LPG conversion must undergo this $700 (or potentially $3700 if it fails the first time) test in order to be legal. Thats more than the conversion itself, and its certainly not covered by the gov'mnt grant. I thought the government was trying to promote LPG conversions???

suck it up sunshine

any car in australia that runs an aftermarket efi computer, alters its emission output by changing engine internals, injectors, turbo sizing, exhaust etc etc requires the vehicle to pass relevant adr emission laws.

now its being inforced as it always should have been.

turbo x-trail
Post #9

so your saying next time you bolt on a cat-back exhaust, extractors, bigger turbo, aftermarket computer, cams or the like, you will gladly pay potential $3700 to get your car legal, and not complain?

yeh, right.

02GZM
Post #10

QUOTE (alpharx7 @ Jul 16 2009, 05:02 PM) *
suck it up sunshine

any car in australia that runs an aftermarket efi computer, alters its emission output by changing engine internals, injectors, turbo sizing, exhaust etc etc requires the vehicle to pass relevant adr emission laws.

now its being ENFORCED as it always should have been.

Fixed

QUOTE (turbo x-trail @ Jul 16 2009, 04:06 PM) *
From what i hear from the guys at hyperdrive motorsport (im using them to tune my EMS when its done), 3 cars were tested independently over east, by a car dealership. I might add here that in NSW, this test is free, funded by the RTA! (correct me if im wrong). The cars were a MY09 Subaru Impreza WRX, a 3.6L V6 base model VE commodore, and a VE SS (6.0l V8) ute. ONLY THE V6 COMMODORE PASSED THE TEST. You read correctly. The WRX and the SS failed due to to higher carbon emissions on start-up (before the cat-converted had even bin given a chance to warm up to correct operating temperature). If a stock car cannot pass this test, what hope does even a slightly modified car have? According to the DPI's website, 80% of the cars on the road are (as of April 09) REQUIRED to undergo an IM240 test to still be legal. This includes any car with any exhaust mods at all, turbo or supercharger, LPG or CNG conversion, imported from another country or that was manufactured before 1989. This means that every LPG conversion must undergo this $700 (or potentially $3700 if it fails the first time) test in order to be legal. Thats more than the conversion itself, and its certainly not covered by the gov'mnt grant. I thought the government was trying to promote LPG conversions???

Now were these tests done on completely stock cars or were they done on modified cars? Looking at the lineup of cars and then looking at most cars on the road you can assume that the WRX and SS commodore probably had turbo/computer/exhaust modifications that caused them to fail. The V6 base model commodore, well that probably had cut springs and a monster tacho. That isn't going to alter the results of an emissions test...

If they were dead stock cars though then it's pretty safe to assume that the reason for no cars being tested in WA yet is the test is currently too strict and requires alteration. This would also mean that the alterations are almost set at the correct ADR emissions rulings and running the test on cars will now give accurate results.

Either way it will probably be used to target modified cars as it's an easy source of revenue.

alpharx7
Post #11

QUOTE (turbo x-trail @ Jul 16 2009, 05:19 PM) *
so your saying next time you bolt on a cat-back exhaust, extractors, bigger turbo, aftermarket computer, cams or the like, you will gladly pay potential $3700 to get your car legal, and not complain?

yeh, right.

i spent 15k going through emissions testing down in victoria. results - first street legal 20b rotary in australia

jish
Post #12

QUOTE (alpharx7 @ Jul 16 2009, 05:29 PM) *
i spent 15k going through emissions testing down in victoria. results - first street legal 20b rotary in australia

fuck me sideways!!!!

turbo x-trail
Post #13

QUOTE (alpharx7 @ Jul 16 2009, 03:29 PM) *

more power to you, but not all Australian car enthusiasts ave 15k to spend.
would've thought that's pretty obvious.

Now were these tests done on completely stock cars or were they done on modified cars? Looking at the lineup of cars and then looking at most cars on the road you can assume that the WRX and SS commodore probably had turbo/computer/exhaust modifications that caused them to fail. The V6 base model commodore, well that probably had cut springs and a monster tacho. That isn't going to alter the results of an emissions test...

If they were dead stock cars though then it's pretty safe to assume that the reason for no cars being tested in WA yet is the test is currently too strict and requires alteration. This would also mean that the alterations are almost set at the correct ADR emissions rulings and running the test on cars will now give accurate results.

from what i hear, they were STOCK cars, from a dealer as in fresh form Subaru and Holden.

Either way it will probably be used to target modified cars as it's an easy source of revenue.

as with most government activities with money involved (speed cameras - if they were serious about saving lives, they would put fixed cameras in hot spots. to date there isnt a single fixed camera in WA) . apparently our tax isn't enough.

alpharx7
Post #14

so run a standard engine and computer, and all related ancillaries from a donor motor and your car should be fine

• Member Login

If you have a BoostCruising account enter your user name and password into the yellow box.

Alternatively, you can quickly login with Facebook.

If you don't have an account create one below.

Create Account
  • Login with Facebook

Login using your Facebook account!

THIS TOPIC HAS BEEN ARCHIVED
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
x