Streetsleeper's Saab - 9000 CD Turbo 2.3ltr 1991  

StreetSleeper
  • StreetSleeper
  • Budding User
  • Member No.: 47,486
Post #1 post 7th June 2006 - 04:29 PM
Engine: 2.3Ltr 4Cyl Garrett T25 Turbo running 22psi

Exhaust: 3" JT Downpipe and Sports Cat, 2"1/4 rest of the way.

Suspension: Stock but with Polly Bush's

Wheels: Ronal Special Edition Factory... hoping to upgrade to Wolfrace ATS DTM Lightweights.

Modifications:
Swedish Dynamics "RED" APC EPROM and LH Fuel EPROM,
Forge BOV,
Forge Wastegate Actuator,
Speedparts StrutBrace,
JT 3" Downpipe & Sports Cat,
Speedparts 3" Induction Kit,
Powerflex Polly Bushes for Trans, Engine Mounts, DropLinks, Wishbones.
AutoMeter Cobalt Boost/Vac Guage (Full Sweep Electronic)
Local fabricated 3" from Sports Cat Back.
Lukey Super Turbo Backbox.

Stereo Audio / Visual: All Alpine, 6stacka and Tape Deck for the old school beatz.

Estimated Power:
Now: Close to 200kw.. at the Fly but Saabs dont loose much transfering to the wheels I dont think..

This post has been edited by StreetSleeper: Aug 16 2007, 08:40 PM
Streetsleeper's Saab
Streetsleeper's Saab
Streetsleeper's Saab
Streetsleeper's Saab
Streetsleeper's Saab
Streetsleeper's Saab
Streetsleeper's Saab
Streetsleeper's Saab
Streetsleeper's Saab

--------------------
Saab 9000 Turbo 2.3Ltr - Garrett T25 Full Pressure Turbo @ 22PSI - SwedishDynamic "Red" APC ECU and Fuel ECU - Speedparts StrutBrace & 3" Induction Kit - Forge Recirc BOV & Wastegate Actuator - JT 3" Downpipe & Sports Cat - Full 3" Exhaust - Lukey Super Turbo backbox - Polly Trans Bush, Engine Bushes, Suspension Bushes

Comments

• Boost Network 32
  • Boostin7
    Post #2

Now that's sick sleeper

twmba-bloke
    Post #3

nice ... good luck with it

StreetSleeper
    Post #4

QUOTE(CHARGER @ Jun 8 2006, 10:36 AM) [snapback]1279950247[/snapback]

Hell yeah go the Saab, I had a 900 Turbo pig, ran unlimited boost through it for to long and shot a rod through the block snapping second one day was quiet funny.

Its cool to be different good luck with it

Cheers mate, glad to hear you've experienced a Sweed urself, unfortunate about the rod, its quiet common for that to happen it seems, very easy to bypass the saabs 'keepsafe' engerneering and go full boost, fun for a while, until something goes pop, which I'm dreading

Been fun so far, no major probs, just a few leaks from here and there. Can't wait for the 3" exhaust to go on.

Nice lookin RX you got there, nice and straight in the pics, most RX7's down here don't look so straight.

dreeft
    Post #5

22psi through a t25 sounds pretty adventurous.

Nice sleeper biggrin.gif Any idea on a quarter mile?

StreetSleeper
    Post #6

QUOTE(dreeft @ Jun 8 2006, 11:54 AM) [snapback]1279950494[/snapback]

22psi through a t25 sounds pretty adventurous.

Nice sleeper biggrin.gif Any idea on a quarter mile?

Yeh 22psi, I thought the same when I was reading the specs on the ECU's/EPROM's. They said it's safe, everyone else thinks otherwise and yeah, I think it's a little risky myself but what the heck, she's been good to me for a long time already.

Quarter mile - well haven't really had a good go at it. With a few people in the car I remember her doing 15's I think on a dodgy marked 1/4 mile, if that counts. She weighs less than she looks aswell.

QUOTE(CHARGER @ Jun 8 2006, 11:38 AM) [snapback]1279950437[/snapback]

Cheers, also had a nice old Saab 99 Turbo Coupe, it ended up dieing of some electrical catastrophy not worth fixing, was a good car for a while but unfortunately they arnt worth much. when you pull performance out of a Saab they dont seem to stay reliable, plus all the bloody sensors they have everywhere dont help think they are designed not to be played with.

Theres an article on autospeed website somewhere of a guy and a 99 or 900 coupe with a few mods, the stuff he had to do to make things run right was quiet bizzare, worth a read if you havent already and if its still up on the site somewhere.

EDIT: HERES THE ARTICLE, Pretty mean looking old girl I thought and certainly different. SAAB ARTICLE

EDIT2: Bummer just noticed they are making you pay to read the old article now

That Enduro thing is awesome. Never seen one before. Yeh things improved for saabs when they worked out the APC/Turbo thing around 1990. Before then everything was a cotastrophy and I'd hate to work on them. And now it's all GeneralMotors crap so there's no fun or individuality in that.

You're right about the sensors, there's too many, but half of them serve a good purpose. I'm experiencing a problem with my engine oil sensor, it's just leaking all over the place and I can't be bothered fixin it yet. Just top her up every now and then.

Tommo24
    Post #7

damn bet she flies! nice work!

definitely something out of the blue!

im sure you catch alot of people by surprise.. haha..

57EAM
    Post #8

Heak yes! Could we see some engine pics please?

StreetSleeper
    Post #9

QUOTE(Tommo24 @ Jun 8 2006, 01:06 PM) [snapback]1279950793[/snapback]

damn bet she flies! nice work!

definitely something out of the blue!

im sure you catch alot of people by surprise.. haha..

Yep she flies thumbsup.gif designed by aeroplane engineers laugh.gif

QUOTE(57EAM @ Jun 8 2006, 01:33 PM) [snapback]1279950902[/snapback]

Heak yes! Could we see some engine pics please?

Few engine pics, dont have any real good engine pics from Recent though. Engine is really messy in these pics from certain leaks and generally me just not cleaning it. I keep it a lot cleaner now. I will take a few more REAL soon though, just concentrating on working on it, hate getting my greasy hands all over my digital camera.

Oh yeh, and added a few pics up top wink.gif me and my flatmates Skyline and Ford XR500.

Crossie
    Post #10

nice one

i've got a 86 900 aero turbz, gotta luv double wishbone biggrin.gif

if only you were in briz, we could go for a run

read my sig.

StreetSleeper
    Post #11

QUOTE(Crossie @ Jun 8 2006, 02:38 PM) [snapback]1279951162[/snapback]

nice one

i've got a 86 900 aero turbz, gotta luv double wishbone biggrin.gif

if only you were in briz, we could go for a run

read my sig.

Yeh suieeet! there's a few 900's kickin about it seems, and u'v got an Aero,, nice. Done anything performance wise yet? if you want a few links guys, I know plenty for Saab perf.

HOON69
    Post #12

now thats a SAAB
    well done its the most impressive saab on boost thus far

good luck with the 200mark smile.gif

rollaboyz2003
    Post #13

nice sleeper

Crossie
    Post #14

QUOTE(StreetSleeper @ Jun 8 2006, 02:54 PM) [snapback]1279951223[/snapback]

Yeh suieeet! there's a few 900's kickin about it seems, and u'v got an Aero,, nice. Done anything performance wise yet? if you want a few links guys, I know plenty for Saab perf.

yep for sure, hook us up

i've done a couple small things so far, i just the the sound of it and the handling

nortz
    Post #15

awesome sleeper

StreetSleeper
    Post #16

QUOTE(Crossie @ Jun 8 2006, 03:15 PM) [snapback]1279951311[/snapback]

yep for sure, hook us up

i've done a couple small things so far, i just the the sound of it and the handling

Here's a few links for ya'. Oh yeh, if you want it to sound crazy/scary, get rid of the stock induction and put on a open air 3" induction kit, you'll definately get looks from people and coments like "a SAAB, WTF!"

SaabCentral Forums HUGE comunity of Saab enthusiasts, the best thing is, it's all sub-devided into the different Saab Models, and then again devided into Performance and Workshop under each Saab type. There's HEAPS on modifying Saab 900's, and when you have an Aero, people generally envy you on there, hehe.

SaabPerformanceParts/SwedishDynamics ECU'S and other major Performance Parts. THESE ECU'S ROCK, DIY easy installation, swap out for ur old ECU's and you can keep the old ones spare for backup.

Elkparts IMPORT PERFORMANCE parts for Saabs. This is where I get Most things, you can even choose Aus currency for ur items, cos I get sick of converting currency, just be sure not to spend over $1000Aus or you'll be put with Customs Tax big time. I spent $2000 and Customs ripped me for $300.

Parts for Saabs Another Import Perf' shop for saabs, I've never really dealt with them but they have some stuff Elkparts can't get, and vice Versa. But they generally seem a little more expensive than Elkparts.

QUOTE(HOON69 @ Jun 8 2006, 02:57 PM) [snapback]1279951237[/snapback]

now thats a SAAB
    well done its the most impressive saab on boost thus far

good luck with the 200mark smile.gif

Cheers, it's nice hearing stuff like that, lol. thumbsup.gif

SiL8E
    Post #17

tight ride! i got a 88 9000 turbo dailey driver puttin 15psi threw it with pod filter and 2.5cat back it pull's nicely tho it's only the 2L, u should be safe runnin 22 pounds as the motors are bomb proof can't say the same about the gearboxes tho.

DODelaney
    Post #18

damn 22psi thats insane
    have fun with it

StreetSleeper
    Post #19

QUOTE(SiL8E @ Jun 8 2006, 07:14 PM) [snapback]1279952510[/snapback]

tight ride! i got a 88 9000 turbo dailey driver puttin 15psi threw it with pod filter and 2.5cat back it pull's nicely tho it's only the 2L, u should be safe runnin 22 pounds as the motors are bomb proof can't say the same about the gearboxes tho.

Yeh gearbox's suck, got a bit better ahead of the 1990 models, just gotta keep that oil change going. I expect the gearbox/transmission to go first, or something on the turbo side, they don't like much above 300hp. But as you said, Engine is good for oodles of hp, in the '91 models especially. Glad to hear some others are fiddling with their Saabs.

slipn
    Post #20

Dude that is wicked

Its so good to see something different espicially a Saab!!
    I lived in Sweden for a year and spent most of my time in the town where Volvo is made and about an hour outside of where Saab was made.

I couldent believe all the modded Volvos and Saabs there!! and they were wicked kinda like s13's and skylines here, there everywhere.

I bought back some mags of Swedish modifiers to show my mates cause they dident believe me. Some Volvos have like over 800 HP!!!

StreetSleeper
    Post #21

QUOTE(slipn @ Jun 8 2006, 09:12 PM) [snapback]1279953121[/snapback]

Dude that is wicked

Its so good to see something different espicially a Saab!!
    I lived in Sweden for a year and spent most of my time in the town where Volvo is made and about an hour outside of where Saab was made.

I couldent believe all the modded Volvos and Saabs there!! and they were wicked kinda like s13's and skylines here, there everywhere.

I bought back some mags of Swedish modifiers to show my mates cause they dident believe me. Some Volvos have like over 800 HP!!!

Yep! glad you appreciate it all and got to live that kinda life for a year, I'd love it. There are Saabs with over 800hp, some over 1000hp, and quiet more commonly over 600hp. Yeh I've heard that Volvo's and Saabs over there are like Silvia's and Skyline's here before, but hey I'm glad to be an individual around these parts.

alphabetic
    Post #22

Nice Saab mate. Nice to discover there's another Nordic/Euro enthusiast down south. All I need is the appropriate car to justify it! Soon tongue.gif

StreetSleeper
    Post #23

Some Newer Cleaner pics of Engine bay. Added them to the top aswell.

IPB Image
    IPB Image
    IPB Image

SammyB
    Post #24

Love the SAAB mate, very nice indeed biggrin.gif

StreetSleeper
    Post #25

Finally got good pics of the Induction I installed a few weeks back. Wheel arch is back on now of course.
    IPB Image
    IPB Image

Crazymob
    Post #26

Sweet 9000! You took that in the photos in Rosny and at the wharf, yeah? I can tell.

It's nice to see another saab owner in tassie that cares about his car.

Do you do all your mechanical work yourself, or where do you take it to get serviced?

StreetSleeper
    Post #27

QUOTE(Crazymob @ Jul 29 2008, 09:08 PM) [snapback]1282671415[/snapback]

Sweet 9000! You took that in the photos in Rosny and at the wharf, yeah? I can tell.

It's nice to see another saab owner in tassie that cares about his car.

Do you do all your mechanical work yourself, or where do you take it to get serviced?

Hey mate, that's right I took the pics at Rosny and the Warfe years ago. I work nearby the Rosny point where I took a few of the pics.

I've done the majority of the mechanical work. For some parts I have tried and just lost patients and had the shops do it. Like not having the right tools to get the poly suspension bushes in. And the Exhaust Downpipe was a bitch to get loose so I took it an exhaust shop.

If you want a service centre that knows their stuff about Saabs, take it to Hobart Automotive Repairs in top end of Liverpool St (http://www.hobartauto.com.au/).. Steve there knows his stuff.

Nice to see you went with Bilsteins for suspension, I want to do the same but money is an issue and I dunno if I want to keep the old girl.. my gf hates how much fuel she eats with the mod's I've made.

Where abouts in hobart are you? Should take a ride in each others cars at some stage.

Crazymob
    Post #28

Yeah I was just about to ask you what you thought of hobart automotive repairs, that's where I take mine and I take all the family cars, Wes is a legend, havent dealt much with steve though.

The bilsteins are great, a lot better than the soft marshmellow stock suspension.

I'm curious as to how much petrol your car uses? I get around 15l per 100k around town, and 11 on a highway, and that isn't great, and i'm scared if I really start to mod the engine it'll get worse.

I'm in West Hobart, at the top end of liverpool crescent.

StreetSleeper
    Post #29

QUOTE(Crazymob @ Jul 30 2008, 03:36 PM) [snapback]1282674084[/snapback]

Yeah I was just about to ask you what you thought of hobart automotive repairs, that's where I take mine and I take all the family cars, Wes is a legend, havent dealt much with steve though.

The bilsteins are great, a lot better than the soft marshmellow stock suspension.

I'm curious as to how much petrol your car uses? I get around 15l per 100k around town, and 11 on a highway, and that isn't great, and i'm scared if I really start to mod the engine it'll get worse.

I'm in West Hobart, at the top end of liverpool crescent.

Too early for me to think about L/100km.. but I fill up on BP Ultimate 98 Octane.. 60Litre tank pretty sure.. and I get about 350km, give or take a little depending on how rushed my life is at the time. So basically a Nellie($100note) gets me 350km.. pretty steep in my mind. But that could partly be blamed on my autobox being a bit lazy. If I really put along and try to keep off boost (hard to do) I could maybe get 420km,, if I'm lucky. I live not too far from you, and used to live in Molle St years ago really close to you. Should check each others cars out some time. I hope to get mine back from body works tomoz, some old hagg keyed my car on almost every panel :-(

Crazymob
    Post #30

Oh yeah, i try my hardest to drive as conservatively as I can so I can save fuel, means I can never enjoy the car really. My friends always brag how $40 will get them 400k's in their little jap cars. Either way I can imagine the autobox and the turbo would drink a bit more.

But still I think it's worth it for when you get out on the back roads.

Bad luck about the panels getting keyed! How much is all that costing?

• Member Login

If you have a BoostCruising account enter your user name and password into the yellow box.

Alternatively, you can quickly login with Facebook.

If you don't have an account create one below.

Create Account
    • Login with Facebook

Login using your Facebook account!

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
x